The University Park Academy of UPUMC
THE SCHOOL OF ESSENTIAL WISDOM
Fall 2021 Term
September 2 through November 18
Thursdays | 11:00 am | Livestream
Thursdays | 8:00pm | Video and moderator led discussion
$30 per 3-month term
- Each 11:00am session is offered LIVE via Zoom
- Approximately 40 minutes will be presented as lecture, followed by 15-20 minutes of interactive dialogue.
- Recorded lectures will be offered again on Thursday evenings at 8pm immediately followed by an opportunity for group interaction moderated by a member of the UP Academy leadership.
- Enrollment entitles you to all live and recorded programs for all three months of session.
- Tuition is used to provide honoraria to our speakers for their generous gift of time.
For questions please email SEWisdom@upumc.org
The Brave New World of Journalism
Featured speaker Mary Jacobs, Journalist & Free-Lance Writer, will present her insights on The Brave New World of Journalism. Topics include News, Fake News, and Nonsense, One Day J-School, The Vanishing Fourth Estate, and Becoming Your Own Editor.
On the FIFTH Thursday, Sept 30, we are offering a bonus session called Reading FUNdamentals for Young Minds. A panel of children’s librarians, teachers, and featuring Rev. Victoria Robb Powers, will make recommendations for parents and grandparents looking for quality titles for their kids’ libraries. Get a head start on your Christmas lists!
Epidemics, Pandemics & the Stock Market
Financial Advisor Bryan Daniel will share his wisdom about the economic environment and its impact on personal finances in our times. He will lead in on October 5 with “Epidemics, Pandemics and the Stock Market.”
Thanks-Giving Square: A spiritual place rooted in gratitude
November brings a panel of speakers from Thanks-Giving Square and the Interfaith Council, discussing the history and vision of this Spiritual Haven Rooted in Gratitude.
Week 1: Recover: Old Values in New Realities: From Dark to Dawn [History of Thanksgiving Square, up to 2014]
Week 2: Restore: Reach Out to Reach In: Greater Depth in Common Faith [Faith Forward, Faith in Conversations, Building Community, 2014-2021]
Week 3: Renew: Find Friends You Might Have Missed: Shared Gratitude [Future Plans - 2021 and Beyond]