We are currently asking for donations of gift cards, and funds to support the families of two of our long-time UPUMC staff members. Please help us start them down the path towards rebuilding their lives. Bring donations to the front desk on Sunday or give online at www.upumc.org/give and designate for disaster relief. Thank you for your prayers and generous support of our extended family.
(Pictured Left)Natasha and her family lost everything in Hurricane Harvey, she is the niece of our Finance Manager Constance Harp. (Hannah, age 11. Mya, age 8.) (Pictured Right)Stephanie, daughter of our Custodial Staff member Charles, and her family were rescued from the flood waters in Houston on Monday. (Malachi, age 9. Navaeh, age 7. Nehemiah, age 7)
On August 24-25, 2017 Hurricane Harvey struck the Texas coast. As our neighbors wait for the flood waters to recede we are eager to show our support and provide for the families affected. The city of Dallas has established 5 shelters to house evacuees who will be arriving throughout the coming days. Here are some ways you can help both locally and in the disaster recovery area.
What We Can Do:
- Make a donation by check, or give online by clicking above and mark it UMCOR / Disaster Relief. All donated funds will go to relief and recovery for Hurricane Harvey.
- If you have a home or extra rooms available for evacuees, prayerfully consider listing them for free on Airbnb.
- Volunteer or drop off supplies for evacuees arriving in Dallas. Learn more and sign up at dallashelpforharvey.net.
- Dallas ISD is preparing to take in the children of evacuated families from the Gulf coast. Click the above link to donate school supplies to help them start their new school year in Dallas.
- Collect and donate items for UMCOR flood buckets. Bring your items to the church beginning this Sunday, Sept. 3. We will gather as a church family to pack 100 flood kits on Sept. 17 at 4 p.m. as part of Linked UP.
Flood Bucket Materials
- 5-gallon plastic bucket with resealable lid
- Liquid laundry detergent (no powder)
- Liquid household cleaner (12-16 oz., no sprays)
- Dish soap, 16-28 oz.
- Can air freshener
- Insect repellant spray, 6-14 oz.
- Scrub brush
- Handi Wipes or reusable cleaning wipes
- Sponges, no cellulose
- Scouring pads (no stainless steel or SOS)
- Clothesline (50 or 100 ft.)
- 24-roll heavy-duty trash bags (33-45 gallon)
- Dust masks
- Kitchen dishwashing gloves
- Work gloves (leather or leather on palm)
Above all, your prayers for the families, communities, and relief workers along the gulf are needed, so please take a moment to lift them up to God.
For more information on how you can help through the weeks and months ahead, please contact Monica Frazier, firstname.lastname@example.org, 214-368-1435 x157.
Thank you for your prayers, your love, and your donations as we strive to be the hands and feet of God in our world.